Thursday 7 January 2010

The books




McNiff, S. (1998) Trust the Process London, Shambala This is my favourite. I like it so much that I don't want to move on to chapter 3, because I want to make it last. I keep going back and reading chapter 1. It doesn't have any exercises. It's more a reflection on principles.
Cameron, J.1992) The Artist's Way London, Pan This is a very well-known book - hundreds of people have found it helpful. It does invoke god and 'spirituality' but, as an athiest, I actually didn't even notice this the first time. You can cheerfully ignore this aspect if you want to, and still find it very useful.
Nachmanovitch, S. 1990 Free Play Tarcher/Putnam, New York I've only read a little of this. The author is a violinist, but he writes beautifully about creation and improvisation from a much wider perspective than only music.
Maisel, E. (2005) Coaching the Artist Within Novato, New World Library This is a later Maisel, and I find it much easier to deal with that Fearless Creating. It's practical, deals with one principle at a time, and also has a lot of examples/case studies of people he's worked with as a creativity coach.
Maisel, E. (1995) Fearless Creating   This is my least recommended, in the sense that I found some of what he says in the early chapters a bit off-putting (embrace anxiety, paint naked...). But it's full of interesting ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...